Connect with us

Politics

We’re out to reclaim Nigeria from APC – Turaki

Published

on

National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Kabiru Tanimu Turaki
Spread the love

By Aliyu Musa

National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Kabiru Tanimu Turaki, SAN has said the party is on a mission to reclaim Nigeria from the All Progressives Congress (APC) led federal government.

Addressing Forum of PDP State Chairmen, Turaki regretted that instead of moving the country forward since 2015 when it took over, the APC “is taking us retrogressively.”

“Nigerians are living witnesses that the achievements, the progress that had been made in the 16 of PDP glorious years have either been destroyed, or shattered, or reversed.

“And that is why today, whenever Nigerians speak, they beg, they plead: ‘if you can’t take us anywhere further, please take us back to where we were in 2015.'”

He however assured Nigerians “that we have listened to you. We are not taking you back to 2015 when we left. We will take over power by the special grace of God in 2027.

“And thereafter, we will begin the journey to taking Nigeria and Nigerians to the promised land.

“It’s possible, it’s doable, we’ve done it before, and we’re going to do it again.”

Turaki told the state chairmen that the meeting was not just for housekeeping, but an opportunity to interface with them and to get first-hand report of the state of the party in their various states.

The National Chairman stated that the success of the new National Working Committee (NWC) is contingent upon the amount of understanding and support it get from the Forum of State Chairmen.

See also  PDP Writes INEC over suspension of four officers

“And that is why, very early in the day, we’ve invited you to discuss with you, not only to discuss the handover note by the immediate past leadership of this party, but to lay before you our programme of action and then seek your guidance, seek your views, seek your comments, even your criticisms, because you are the ones that are in the field.

“You stand in a better position to advise us, to guide us on what the expectations of Nigerians are from us; you are in a better position to advise us what the feelings and thinking of Nigerians, especially members of our party, are,” he stated.

Politics

FCT Area Council Elections: Wike declares Friday Work Free, Restrict Movement From 8pm On Friday To 6pm on Saturday

Published

on

By

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike
Spread the love

By Wumi Tewogbade, Abuja

Ahead of the Saturday, February 21 Area Council elections in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), the Minister, Nyesom Wike, has announced work free day on Friday, as well as restriction of movement from 8pm on Friday to 6pm on Saturday.

The Minister, who made this known in a special broadcast on national television and radio stations on Thursday, urged residents of the FCT to come out enmasse to vote for candidates of their choice.

The broadcast read; “On Saturday, February 21, we will all have a crucial opportunity to shape the future of our great Federal Capital Territory. The election of either new or returning Chairmen and Councilors for the six area councils is a momentous occasion, and I urge you to come out in your numbers to exercise your right to vote.

“I urge you to go to the polls with a sense of purpose and responsibility.

“As we exercise our democratic right, let us do so in an orderly and lawful manner. Let us respect the rules, respect each other, and respect the outcome of the election. We must show the world that we are a mature and responsible electorate, capable of conducting ourselves with dignity and decorum.

“At this juncture, with the approval of the President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, I hereby declare Friday, February 20, 2026, as a Work Free Day to enable movement of residents to their various communities to participate in the elections.

“Similarly, the President has approved the restriction of movement within the FCT from 8pm of Friday, February 20 to 6pm of Saturday, February 21, 2026. Consequently, all security agencies are directed to ensure strict compliance with this directive.

See also  LP Reps task Tinubu, APC to prioritize security, welfare of citizens

“Let me again use this opportunity to appreciate President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for signing the Electoral Act Amendment bill 2026 into law. This demonstrates his commitment to strengthening our democratic institutions and ensuring that our electoral processes are free, fair, and transparent.

“My dear residents, Democracy has always been a work-in-progress due to the evolving democratic process. However, we will keep getting better by always looking into the Electoral Act with a view to strengthening our democratic process.

“To all FCT residents, I urge you to make your voice heard. Come out on Saturday, February 21, 2026 and vote for the candidates of their choice.

“Our prayer, as an administration, is that the elections will facilitate the emergence of such quality leaders that will contribute meaningfully to development, peace and prosperity in the FCT.

“Together, let us build a brighter future for ourselves, our children, and our territory.”

Continue Reading

Politics

FCT Area Council Elections: AMAC PDP Chairmanship Candidate Steps Down For APC Candidate

Published

on

By

Spread the love

By Wumi Tewogbade, Abuja

Less than 24 hours after the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Chairmanship candidate for Bwari Area Council, Julius Adamu, stepped down for the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Joshua Ishaku Musa, the Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) PDP Chairmanship Candidate, Hon. Zadna Dantani, has also stepped down for the APC candidate, Hon. Christopher Zakka Maikalangu.

Dantani, who said his decision to step down was aftermath of intervention by the Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, added that he has also submitted a letter of withdrawal to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

He said; “My name is Hon. Zadna Dantani, the Chairmanship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the Abuja Municipal Area Council for the Saturday’s Area Council elections.

“I want to sincerely appreciate everyone who supported us and by the grace of God, we are doing it not because of our personal interests.

“I am here to tell my people that as a candidate who is standing for this election, I have today, agreed based on the intervention of the Honourable Minister of FCT, Barrister Nyesom Wike, who is our leader in the party and the leader in FCT, who has called my attention to let us know that this is a brotherhood election.

“I am also doing this in support of the good works of the President, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

“I have consulted widely and by the grace of God we have agreed that we are no longer going to contest against my brother, Hon Christopher Zakka Maikalangu.

See also  LP Reps task Tinubu, APC to prioritize security, welfare of citizens

“By doing so, I also submitted a letter of withdrawal to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) today.

“I therefore call on all my supporters a cross the 12 wards in the Abuja Municipal Area Council to come out enmasse to support Hon Christopher Maikalangu, who is the candidate of APC.”

Dantani’s letter to INEC read; “I write to respectfully inform you that I, Hon. Zadna Dantani of Gosa Village along Airport Road FCT Abuja, a member and the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), have decided to voluntarily withdraw from contesting for the Chairmanship position of Abuja Municipal Area Council, in the forthcoming Area Council Elections which is scheduled to hold on 21st February, 2026, after due other consideration and thorough consultation with my Family and relevant stakeholders.

“I wish to state unequivocally that this decision to withdraw my candidature is borne out of my own freewill volition.

“Accept the assurances of my warm regards, please.”

Continue Reading

Politics

FCT Council Election: I ‘ll support only those supporting President Tinubu – Wike

Published

on

By

FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike
Spread the love

By Wumi Tewogbade, Abuja

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has said he will only support whoever supports President Bola Tinubu’s reflection, irrespective of political party in the FCT Area Councils’ election, scheduled for February 21.

Wike stated this in Abuja on Saturday, during Senator Sandy Onor’s 60th birthday, a celebration of six decades of scholarship, leadership, service and meaningful impact.

The Minister, who said he owed no one an apology for supporting Tinubu, promised to support any candidate that supports the President irrespective of party affiliation.

“We have the FCT Area Council election coming up on February 21 and I have a duty to support any candidate that supports President Tinubu to win.

“It is also my duty to ensure that any candidate that is not supporting Tinubu does not win in the election, and I owe no apology on my stand,” Wike said.

Speaking on the celebrant, the Minister described him as a credible ally, a trustworthy friend and good brother.

According to him, Onor is not just a friendly but a reliable friend, even in times of trouble and that is when you know who is a friend.

“I will continue to be with you and work with you, because I know even if I am not alive today, you will not abandon my family,” Wike said.

Reading the citation of the celebrant, Prof. Anthony Eyang said, Onor, born on February 14, 1966 in Ikom, Cross River State, was raised in an environment deeply rooted in community values, discipline and faith.

Eyang said that the journey of Onor, a Professor of History began from the lecture halls of the University of Calabar to the floor of the Nigerian Senate, and onward to Cross River State politics.

See also  Atiku urges Nigerians to kick out APC beginning with FCT elections

“This reflects a life devoted to learning, leadership, and the advancement of society,” he said.

Earlier, Chairman planning committee, Senator Philip Aduda, said that the event was a thanksgiving of God’s faithfulness on Onor’s life both as an academic and a politician.

On his part, Mr Samuel Otom, former governor of Benue, described Onor as an “icon”, a great Nigerian, and a man who had prepared himself and fit for leadership.

Otom, who stood in for the Chairman of the Occasion, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, former governor of Abia State and Ambassador designate, equally described Onor as a “good man.”

Former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Kalu Agabi (SAN) described the celebrant as a courageous and intelligent man, saying; “I love Senator Sandy Onor because he is not one of those who stigmatize the constitution as a product of the military. He is a courageous and intelligent man.”

Prof. Dave Imbua, while presenting a Festchrift, a book written by scholars in honour of the celebrant, said Onor has remained a notable historian among academics.

Ikpeazu unveiled the book on behalf of Wike and his friends, with N50 million.

In his remarks, the celebrant said he had realised in his 60th year of life that it was good to be a man of excellence and a man of character, adding that hard work pays.

Onor, however, said that “everything becomes insignificant if the finger of God is absent”.

He thanked his family, friends and well-wishers for the show of love, adding that their support would be taken for granted.

Continue Reading

Recent

General News6 hours ago

Achado Kicks Off Constituency Education Scholarship With N20 Million in Benue

Spread the loveBy Felix Umande, Makurdi Member representing Gwer East/Gwer West Federal Constituency if Benue state, Arc. Dr. Austin Asema...

National Assembly National Assembly
General News9 hours ago

House wants improved funding for BPP…Warns Against E-Procurement Votes

Spread the loveBy Saint Mugaga The House of Representatives Committee on Public Procurement has called for increased budgetary allocation to...

General News9 hours ago

Cybercrime: DSS to arraign El- Rufai next Wednesday

Spread the loveThe Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25, arraign former Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State...

General News9 hours ago

“El-Rufai’s Admission to Tapping Ribadu’s Phone is a Serious Breach of National Security”–Arewa Think Tank

Spread the loveBy Our Reporter The Convener of Arewa Think Tank, Muhammad Alhaji Yakubu, has issued a statement on Wednesday...

Senator-Godswill-Akpabio Senator-Godswill-Akpabio
Opinion9 hours ago

How Akpabio’s Leadership Secured Nigeria’s Electoral Future

Spread the loveIn the evolving story of Nigeria’s democratic consolidation, few issues have provoked as much intensity as electoral reform....

Uncategorized9 hours ago

Akpabio hails Anyim at 65

Spread the loveBy Saint Mugaga The President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio, GCON has congratulated former President of the...

FCT Minister Nyesom Wike FCT Minister Nyesom Wike
Politics1 day ago

FCT Area Council Elections: Wike declares Friday Work Free, Restrict Movement From 8pm On Friday To 6pm on Saturday

Spread the loveBy Wumi Tewogbade, Abuja Ahead of the Saturday, February 21 Area Council elections in the Federal Capital Territory...

Politics1 day ago

FCT Area Council Elections: AMAC PDP Chairmanship Candidate Steps Down For APC Candidate

Spread the loveBy Wumi Tewogbade, Abuja Less than 24 hours after the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Chairmanship candidate for Bwari...

Foreign3 days ago

Khamenei: Regime Declares That It Wants To Destroy Israel & Is Investing Millions On Proxies” Kelman

Spread the loveRetired Israeli Air Force Major General Tal Kelman delivered a stark assessment of Iran’s priorities, stating that the...

General News3 days ago

President Tinubu Receives Professor Andrea Riccardo, Reaffirms Nigeria ‘s Commitment to Interfaith Dialogue and National Unity

Spread the loveBy Timothy Mvahan, AbujaPresident Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, has reaffirmed Nigeria’s steadfast commitment to interfaith harmony, national cohesion,...