Connect with us

Sports

Ronaldinho, 46, Comes Out of Retirement to Chase ‘300th Goal’ With Italian Third-Tier Side Ravenna

Published

on

Spread the love

By Felix Umande

Former Brazil superstar Ronaldinho has announced a sensational comeback to professional football 11 years after retiring, signing with Italian Serie C side Ravenna with the goal of scoring “a 300th goal.

The 46-year-old, who won the 2002 World Cup and the 2005 Ballon d’Or, was unveiled on Thursday on a beach in Ravenna, ending a glittering career that last saw him play an official match for Fluminense in September 2015.

“I’m very happy to be here with friends, we have a team that can do something good,” Ronaldinho told reporters.
“Will you see me play? I don’t know, only the coach knows that. Coming back to Italy is wonderful, I’m here to help my teammates win.
“As you can see, I’m in shape, I feel good. If I could score my 300th goal, that would be even more beautiful.”

The comeback was first announced in June on the sidelines of the World Cup in Miami by Ignazio Cipriani, an Italian-American businessman who has owned Ravenna since 2024.

Cipriani said Ronaldinho’s mission is “romantic” and insisted it was not just for publicity.
“His objective is romantic, to try to score his last goal,” Cipriani said on Thursday.
“His involvement is not a token gesture or a marketing stunt to get people talking about us.”

The former Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona and AC Milan playmaker will also become a shareholder in the club. He scored 33 goals in 97 appearances for Brazil during his career.

See also  Football Financially Greater Than Afrobeats, Nollywood Combined, Says Sports Consultant

Cipriani confirmed that Ronaldinho will not feature against Reggiana in Monday’s Serie C season opener.
Ravenna finished third in Group B of last season’s third division and are targeting a return to Serie B for the first time since 2008.

For Ronaldinho, the move marks a return to Italian football more than a decade after his stint with AC Milan between 2008 and 2011.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

EFCC, ICPC Probe N12BN FG Intervention Fund Released to NFF For Players’ Wages

Published

on

By

Spread the love

By Felix Umande

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, have launched investigations into the utilisation of the N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, for players’ wages and bonuses.

A top source familiar with the matter disclosed to newsmen on Thursday that some officials linked to the fund had been invited by investigators and had made statements.
“They have been under our radar before now. We invited some officials over to our offices, and they gave their statements. Presently, they are on administrative bail. We have not ended our investigation,” the source said.

The development was contained in a letter dated August 18, 2026, signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the NFF General Secretary. The letter was addressed to Cromwell & Okeke in response to a Freedom of Information request for financial records and utilisation logs of the fund.

The NFF declined to release the documents, saying the matter was already before the two anti-graft agencies.
“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission,” the letter stated.
“Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.”
A copy of the NFF’s response was published by SaharaReporters on Thursday.

See also  Flight FC Gboko Edge Lobi Stars To Win Maiden Benue FA up Title

President Bola Tinubu approved the N12bn payment in January 2024, ahead of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Ivory Coast, to clear outstanding debts owed to Nigeria’s national teams.
According to a statement from the President’s Media Centre, the fund covered 15 months of unpaid salaries for senior national team coaches, as well as allowances and promises due to the Super Eagles, Super Falcons, and U-20 teams.

The fund was released amid repeated complaints by players over unpaid bonuses and allowances.

The probe comes at a tense time for Nigerian football. In November 2025, the Super Eagles boycotted training in Rabat, Morocco, ahead of a crucial 2026 World Cup play-off against Gabon, citing outstanding allowances dating back to 2019.

Both the Super Eagles and the Super Falcons have also failed to qualify for major tournaments, with the men missing the 2026 World Cup in the US, Canada and Mexico, and the women missing the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

NFF President Ibrahim Gusau, elected in September 2022 in Benin City, is seeking a second term at the federation’s elective congress scheduled for September 27. His administration has faced growing criticism over transparency and results.

Although the NFF board has denied it, there are claims that the National Sports Commission is considering stopping the elections and installing a normalisation committee to oversee Nigerian football.

Continue Reading

Sports

Nigerian Football Undergoes Surgical Operation: ‘NORMALISATION COMMITTEE’ Takes Charge 3 Months

Published

on

By

Spread the love

–As FIFA backs NFF Sept elections’ cancellation

By Nick Ibe, Abuja

With the Ibrahim Gusau-led administration of Nigerian Football Federation, NFF, recording unpardonable failures since taking office, and one of the most painful being Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The failure was despite Nigeria having a large pool of established players and an expanded African allocation for the 2026 World Cup.

The Super Falcons’ elimination from the African playoff for the 2027 World Cup by the Banyana Banyana of South Africa, in Morocco,
the corruption among other ills associated with football administration forced the National Sports Commission to act, to redeem the game in Nigeria.

The National Sports Commission’s (NSC) immediate step was to cancell the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) electoral congress, which was scheduled to hold on September 27 in Lafia, Nasarawa State, to pave the way for a thorough reorganisation of the federation.

This move has severely jolted the Ibrahim Gusau-led executive committee, which was bidding for a second term in office, having taken the mantle four years ago.

In the interim, the NSC is set to name a “normalisation committee” to run the nation’s football affairs for three months.

The NSC was said to have got the permission of the World Football governing body (FIFA) after it assured the embattled President Gianni Infantino of Nigeria’s support in his re-election bid.

The NSC is said to have also reached out to the president of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), Patrice Motsepe.

See also  FIFA Operates With Two Sets of Rules for Different Nations

With Gusau off the line, the NSC’s initial move to allegedly bring in the former President of the NFF, Amaju Pinnick, was said to be rejected by the Presidency.

Reports indicated that the Presidency has given the NSC the approval to announce the normalisation committee within 48 hours. It was not clear who the NSC will finally pick to head the committee.

The normalisation committee, which will be in charge of the nation’s football for three months, is expected to prepare the ground for a new NFF election, including taking care of the grey areas many stakeholders including, Chief Segun Odegbami, had complained about.

Continue Reading

Sports

To Save Nigerian Football: Courts Must Interrogate, Interpret, Explain the Power and Roles of FIFA Here

Published

on

By

Spread the love

By Segun Odegbami

These are my modest solutions to Nigeria’s unending sports development challenge!.

Historically, on March 22, 1998, I was officially decorated with the honour and title of ‘Sports Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Nigeria’ in Abuja by the then Minister of Sports. It was in addition to a previous national honour of ‘Member of the Order of the Niger’, MON.

I take both honours very seriously. They are earned, the rewards for national duty through hard work, dedication, sacrifices, patriotism, discipline, and trophies.

They also come, of course, with additional demands and even more responsibility.

That’s why I try, always, to appreciate the country’s generosity by attempting to live a simple, decent life of exemplary good conduct to serve as a model for generations coming after me through the window of sports. How far I have fared with these unwritten expectations and standards I leave for Nigerians and posterity to judge.

Today, football in Nigeria is at a crossroads. The time comes to test my judgement and character, a burden that I must carry even in the evening of my life.

I find that there is really nothing for me to lose in standing by what I believe are the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth! To be silent now means to fail the government, the people and the game of football itself. So, I am raising my voice again.

Nigerians know me for my activities and contributions in sports and in football, in particular – playing the game, administering it, organising it, promoting it, deploying it as a tool to drive education, empowerment, health, patriotism, eradication of illiteracy, diplomacy and national orientation.

It all started in 1973. As an undergraduate student I was invited to the national football team of Nigeria, the Green Eagles, from the National Sports Festival, to start a relationship that has remained unbroken to this day.

See also  CAF’s AFCON Final Decision Built on Reports, Not Preferential Interpretation

In the 53 years since then, I played for the country; rose to be Captain of the national team and also of the national contingent to the Olympic Games; administered the game as a member of the board of the Nigerian Football Association and as Chairman of the Governing Council of the National Institute of Sports; single-handedly managed two Nigerian athletes (in a sport outside of football) to win Gold and Silver medals at the Olympic Games; served in several panels, commissions and committees promoting sports and seeking solutions to challenges in Nigerian sports; established an NGO/institution that has been promoting the combination of sports and scholarship; facilitating the migration of Nigerian student/athletes to Colleges and Universities in the USA and in India; and currently serving as head of a new and special unit developing a template and policies for sports diplomacy within Nigeria’s foreign affairs.

The measure of my work in all these national assignments are an open book for all Nigerians to see and determine.

All those experiences count in the position I have now chosen to take in the unfortunate present situation the country finds itself. With all the talented footballers that the country parades all over the world, it is a sad commentary that at international level, achievements have reached a plateau, and even started to decline. This is easily measured in the successes, or lack of them, that the country’s football has achieved in recent times. Some of the results are totally unacceptable, needless to mention them here.

The reality is that football administration in the past two decades, in particular, has not matched or complimented the level of talent and possible achievements.

The growth of our football industry has been stunted by faulty decisions taken more in ignorance than by any malicious intentions since the early part of the 1990s. These have grown, sustained and become the norm in our football, a monster that now needs the creators of it to rid it of its venom. They won’t do it because they are also the beneficiaries of the faulty architecture!

See also  AFCON 2025: Akpabio hails Super Eagles on semi-finals qualification…Charges them to bring home the trophyBy Saint Mugaga

Next month, an election into the board of the Nigerian Football Association will take place. I am deliberately using the word ‘association’ because that is the starting point of all the anomalies in the present administrative architecture. This takes careful understanding that I cannot explain here , but that will make sense when the matter is tabled before a civil court for interrogation, and where a subsisting judgment to amend it has been treated with levity for almost 8 years. In law, the Nigerian Football Federation does not even exist!

As for the elections the way things are now, they have been held and sewn up already, the results determined even before a vote has been cast. The persons that can contest and will, know themselves already. Those to be deprived of the opportunity to even contest have been isolated and sent on a wild goose chase, to go around Nigeria furtively searching for endorsements they will not get in a rushed and harried election. The winners of elections have already been determined by the same group of people in office now.

The elections will also be conducted away from any prying eyes to avoid any chances of transparency, and where bribery and corrupt practices can be conducted without consequence, far from the headquarters of the federation and the supervising National Sports Commission that would have ensured neutrality.

The issues are long and endless that need the supervising ministry’s intervention. The NSC cannot do anything with their hands tied by ‘fictitious’ threats by ‘FIFA’ that have no substance in any statutes anywhere in the world.

In short, history, documents, facts and figures are essential ingredients that will illuminate the clouded areas of our football structures in order for the ship of our football to be steadied for future development.

See also  Football Financially Greater Than Afrobeats, Nollywood Combined, Says Sports Consultant

My experiences cannot be bought in the market place or discountenanced. My current works speak for themselves. My suggestions for the future should at least be given some attention.

Therefore, I am writing this publicly with some concern but a deep sense of responsibility and sincerity. Elections into the board of the NFF have become a four-yearly ritual of crisis. The process used in conducting them have always been contentious, and were always challenged as a result of perceived irregularities and manipulation.

All of these to the detriment of the country that loves its football with passion but can only look on helplessly as football continues to suffer and fails to achieve its full potentials, fails to boost the country’s economy, and fails to empower the country’s gifted youths with the best opportunities that are available all over the world.

In the next few days, I shall be taking documents that are currently used in the administration of Nigerian football to the Nigerian civil courts for interrogation and interpretation, to explain to Nigerians documented facts about the real power and roles of FIFA in our country’s internal football affairs; the status, interpretation, role and place of State Football Associations; the equity in unequal and lopsided representation by members; the place and role of government as the biggest funder of football in the country; the justification for the convoluted, politicized, expensive conduct of ordinary football elections in Nigeria, and so on!

The next few weeks will be very interesting.

I hope all Nigerians, including the members of the Nigerian Football Association will understand why these elections should be temporarily halted for Nigerian football to find its feet again!

Olusegun Odegbami, MON, OLY, MON, AFNIIA, FNIS

Sports Ambassador, Federal Republic of Nigeria; Grand Sports Ambassador of Ogun State.

Continue Reading

Recent

Sports7 hours ago

Ronaldinho, 46, Comes Out of Retirement to Chase ‘300th Goal’ With Italian Third-Tier Side Ravenna

Spread the loveBy Felix Umande Former Brazil superstar Ronaldinho has announced a sensational comeback to professional football 11 years after...

Sports7 hours ago

EFCC, ICPC Probe N12BN FG Intervention Fund Released to NFF For Players’ Wages

Spread the loveBy Felix Umande The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related...

General News7 hours ago

“This Soil is Not For Sale”: Benue Voice Rejects National Pilot Ranching Scheme, Cites ‘Trojan Horse’ Conquest Agenda

Spread the loveLegal Practitioner Franc Utoo Says Benue’s Answer Remains “An Unyielding NO” to Federal Livestock Policies By Felix Umande...

General News8 hours ago

EFCC Arraigns Two for Alleged Unlawful Supply of Bank Access Codes: One pleads guilty, 2nd pleads not guilty

Spread the loveBy Seyi Balogun, Lagos The Lagos Zonal Directorate 1 of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Wednesday,...

Business and Economy1 day ago

FCCPC Probes Why Nigerians Pay More for Cement than African Neighbours

Spread the love–Possible price manipulation–Search for alternative to cement on By Nick Ibe The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission...

NELFUND NELFUND
Education1 day ago

More Funds for NELFUND As Tinubu Redirects EFCC-recovered Funds, Unclaimed Dividends to Loan Body

Spread the loveBy isa Abdul, Abuja President Bola Tinubu has taken hold steps to make the Nigerian Education Loan Fund,...

Business and Economy1 day ago

July FAAC: FG, States, Councils Share N3tn

Spread the loveBy Nick Ibe The FAAC allocation has handed to the Federal Government, 36 states and 774 local government...

General News1 day ago

Recall Products With Misleading Labels, FCCPC Directs Producers

Spread the loveBy Isa Abdul, Abuja Manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers across Nigeria have been directed to immediately withdraw consumer...

General News2 days ago

Message of the United Nations Secretary-General on World Humanitarian Day 2026.19 August 2026

Spread the loveOn World Humanitarian Day, we honour the dedicated workers who provide life-saving aid to millions in need. We...

General News2 days ago

EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO from Mamemo Ibru in Lagos

Spread the loveBy Seyi Balogun, Lagos Following investigation into an alleged case of stealing and criminal conversion, the Lagos Zonal...