Connect with us

Foreign

Chukwuemeka Ahanonu, 24-year-old Nigerian Jailed for Life in UK

Published

on

Spread the love

By Isa Abdul

Chukwuemeka Ahanonu, a Nigerian national, has been sentenced to life imprisonment for murder of a 56-year-old woman he attacked on a street in Leicester, United Kingdom, after crashing his car while under the influence of cannabis.

According to Leicestershire Police, the 24-year-old assaulted the victim, Nila Patel, on June 24, 2025, along Infirmary Road. Leicester Crown Court trial found him guilty by a jury on Monday and handed sentence on Tuesday.

Police alleged Ahanonu had been driving dangerously around the city centre prior to the incident, swerving across lanes, running red lights, and veering towards pedestrians before crashing his vehicle.

After the crash, he fled the scene and attacked Patel, who had just alighted from a bus and was walking home.

At the time of his arrest, officers discovered he had been smoking cannabis, with dealer bags of the substance valued at over £3,000 and three iPhones recovered from his car.

During prosecution, he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, possession of cannabis with intent to supply, and assaulting an emergency worker after biting a female police officer.

Security personnel from the nearby Leicester Royal Infirmary restrained him until officers arrived, while medical staff treated Patel for severe injuries, including a fractured skull and brain trauma. She died two days later, prompting his re-arrest on suspicion of murder on June 26, 2025.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Emma Matts, described the incident as “a horrific, violent and random attack” on an innocent woman.

See also  Nigerians' Loss of Human Values Deeply Troubling Realities

Matts said: “Ahanonu was unknown to the victim. She was simply walking home when she was subjected to this brutal assault,” adding that CCTV footage of his driving before the crash was “frightening and disturbing.”

She also commended members of the public who intervened, noting that their swift actions in restraining the suspect and assisting the victim were crucial in securing justice

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Foreign

Colombia Quake Claims 224, Injures 700

Published

on

By

Spread the love

A magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck western Colombia leaving at least 224 people killed while rescue teams continued searching the collapsed buildings for survivors on Tuesday.

The earthquake struck at 7:34 am local time on Monday, with Cali, Pereira and parts of the Choco region among the worst affected areas.

Authorities warned that the death toll could rise as emergency teams reach more affected communities and assess the extent of the destruction.

Cali authorities reported 35 deaths, while officials in the Risaralda region, where Pereira is located, confirmed at least 40 deaths. Nine people were also reported killed in Choco, two in Caldas and one in Antioquia.

At least 700 people were injured in Valle del Cauca alone, according to President Abelardo de la Espriella, who declared a national state of emergency and said the government’s priority was to rescue people trapped under rubble.

More than 1,600 buildings were reportedly damaged or destroyed, including parts of a historic cathedral in Manizales.

Several upper floors of a hospital in Cali also collapsed, trapping some patients and forcing about 600 others to receive treatment outside amid the debris.
Rescue operations continued overnight and into Tuesday, with soldiers, firefighters, emergency workers, volunteers and relatives searching through collapsed buildings.
In Cali, volunteers formed human chains to remove concrete and other debris by hand, while rescue teams repeatedly stopped to listen for survivors.
Firefighters rescued two women and two children from a collapsed building, while rescuers in Pereira were reportedly in contact with a boy trapped beneath a bakery as cranes were used to remove unstable sections of the building.

See also  Africa’s Largest University Becomes First on the Continent to Own an Airport

Authorities have also deployed engineers, rescue workers and search dogs to Choco, where the scale of the destruction remains unclear because many communities are remote and difficult to reach.
The United States Geological Survey identified San Jose del Palmar, a community of about 4,800 people, as the epicentre. The area is about 400km west of the capital, Bogota.
Colombia’s Geological Service reported 21 aftershocks by late Monday and warned that further tremors were possible.
The rescue effort has been complicated by the geography of Choco, where some communities can only be reached by boat or aircraft.

The government has also imposed nighttime curfews in Cali, Armenia and Manizales, while hospitals in five cities were placed on red alert.
Operations at airports in Pereira, Manizales, Quibdo, Armenia, Cartago and Buenaventura were suspended temporarily to allow structural inspections.
Authorities postponed the Petronio Alvarez Music Festival in Cali, which was scheduled to begin on Wednesday, as well as professional football matches.
International assistance has also begun. The United States announced $15.5m in emergency aid for shelters, food and other relief, while the European Union activated its Copernicus satellite service to support rescue operations.
El Salvador and Mexico also offered to provide rescue teams, medical personnel, supplies and other assistance.
Rescuers are expected to face a critical window in the coming hours as they continue searching for people trapped beneath the rubble.

Continue Reading

Faith and Moral Issues

Traore Opens New Battlefield: The Fight Against Religious Extremists

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Traore has opened a new front with Burkina Faso’s Muslim community over arrests.
New legislation and arrests are driving a rift between Burkina Faso’s military government and Muslim scholars.

Captain Ibrahim Traore’s relationship with Muslim leaders has come under strain as his government tightens control over religious affairs.

Burkina Faso’s transitional leader Ibrahim Traore has announced plans to bring back students studying Islamic law in Arab countries

Once backed by influential Muslim scholars, Burkina Faso’s military leader is now facing a growing rift over arrests, new legislation and his campaign against what he describes as religious extremism.

Burkina Faso’s transitional leader, Captain Ibrahim Traore, has sharply escalated his confrontation with influential Muslim scholars, declaring that what he calls “radical Islam” has no place in the country and warning that “the battle has begun” against those he accuses of promoting religious extremism.

Addressing scholars whom he accused of spreading extremist ideas, Traore declared: “If this is your Islam, we will fight it. Extremists must change. If they do not, the battle has begun.”

His remarks underscore a widening rift between the government and parts of Burkina Faso’s Muslim community. Once an important source of support for the military leader, several influential Sunni scholars are now at odds with the authorities over the Religious Freedoms Law, the detention of prominent imams and the government’s campaign against religious extremism.

Traore argued that religion should spread through example rather than coercion or violence. He also questioned why some Muslims opposed the new legislation and warned that imams who use sermons to promote extremist ideas would be suspended.

See also  Speaker Abbas Felicitates SGF Akume At 72

At the same time, he pledged state support for scholars who advocate what he described as a peaceful interpretation of Islam, while accusing foreign powers of exploiting religion to destabilise Burkina Faso.

Students studying abroad
Traore also announced plans to recall Burkinabe students studying Islamic law in Arab countries, claiming that more than 800,000 were pursuing religious education abroad without acquiring practical professional skills.

He warned that those who refuse to return could risk losing their Burkinabe citizenship.

The announcement followed a government directive issued in late June requiring students seeking to study abroad to obtain prior approval from the Ministry of Higher Education.

Authorities said the measure was intended to ensure overseas study programmes better align with the country’s development priorities.

The tighter controls on religious education came as Burkina Faso’s transitional parliament unanimously adopted the Religious Freedoms Law on June 20.

The government says the legislation is intended to reinforce the state’s secular character. It introduces prison terms and fines for practices that authorities classify as religious abuses, including the forced begging of children and breaches of financial transparency rules by religious organisations.

From ally to adversary
The law deepened already growing tensions between the government and sections of the Muslim community.

In late May, Imam Mohamed Ishaq Kindo, one of Burkina Faso’s most prominent Sunni scholars, was arrested after criticising the draft legislation.

Referring to the arrest and the protests that followed, Traore dismissed the unrest as the work of “a small minority of extremists”.

After worshippers gathered to demand Kindo’s release, authorities closed the largest Sunni mosque in the capital, Ouagadougou, citing public order concerns.

See also  Otukpo Former Chairman Assassinated Months After Brother's Murder

Agence France-Presse (AFP), citing a security source, reported that about 100 of the imam’s supporters were transferred to a military camp for what officials described as “civic training”.

Kindo’s arrest followed the mid-April detention of Imam Mahmoud Barro in Bobo-Dioulasso under similar circumstances. According to the Timbuktu Institute, a Dakar-based think tank specialising in peace and security issues, Kindo’s whereabouts have not been disclosed since the protests were suppressed.

According to the institute, the confrontation extends beyond the Religious Freedoms Law. It marks the breakdown of the tacit understanding that had developed between Traore’s government and influential Muslim scholars, whose backing helped bolster his standing after he seized power.

By turning against former allies, the institute argues, Traore risks weakening an important source of political legitimacy without resolving the security crisis that his government has used to justify its increasingly assertive measures.

An Israeli dimension
Alongside the domestic tensions, Traore recently received Israel’s new ambassador to Burkina Faso, Simon Seroussi, in Ouagadougou to present his credentials.

The meeting followed a report by Africa Intelligence, a Paris-based publication specialising in African political and business affairs, that the ambassador’s accreditation request, submitted in the summer of 2025, had remained pending before being quietly approved.

Traore’s public reception of the ambassador appears to mark a shift from the caution previously shown by his inner circle, which had sought to preserve his anti-Western image. It also comes as Israeli security agencies expand cooperation with members of the Alliance of Sahel States (AES), the bloc formed by Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger, whose governments have expressed interest in Israeli security technology.

See also  Nigerians' Loss of Human Values Deeply Troubling Realities

As Traore declares that “the battle has begun” against what he describes as religious extremism, while the Religious Freedoms Law takes effect and the fate of detained scholars remains unclear, a broader question emerges: will the government’s efforts to assert greater control over sources of public legitimacy strengthen its authority, or deepen its confrontation with one of Burkina Faso’s most influential social forces?

Continue Reading

Foreign

The World’s Third-smallest Nation Changes its Name from Nauru to Naoero

Published

on

By

Spread the love

–Its international code shifts from NRU to NRO

The world’s third-smallest nation has changed its name from Nauru to Naoero; its international code shifts from NRU to NRO

The Pacific island nation of Nauru has officially changed its name to the Republic of Naoero, a move its president says better reflects the country’s language, identity and heritage.

The shift also changes the country’s international code from NRU to NRO, while its people will now be referred to as dei-Naoero, as per reports.

The name is not new to the island itself. In the national language, the country has long been known as Naoero; the international version, “Nauru,” became common largely because foreign speakers struggled with the pronunciation.

The government says the updated name corrects that historical mismatch and restores a traditional identity that was never truly lost.

Why the name changed

President David Adeang first proposed the change in January, saying it would “more faithfully honor” the nation’s heritage, language and identity. Parliament later backed a constitutional amendment in two rounds of voting, and the government then said a public referendum would not be necessary after further discussion.

In the government’s view, the word Naoero already lives in the country’s culture and official symbols. Officials said it appears on the national coat of arms, is used in the community, and is allowed by the constitution, making a referendum unnecessary for what they described as a reclaiming of the nation’s true name.

See also  Sadiya Umar Farouq, a Wanted Person--EFCC

What changes now
The most visible change is the country’s formal designation: the Republic of Naoero. Along with that, its ISO-style international code is shifting from NRU to NRO, and government aircraft and ships will also be renamed to match the new identity.

The government has already begun asking other countries and international institutions to recognize the change. The United Nations website now lists the country under its new name, and diplomatic websites in Australia, New Zealand, the United States and China have also begun using Naoero.

A small nation with a big history
Naoero is one of the world’s smallest countries by population, with about 12,000 residents. The tiny coral limestone atoll has had a complicated past: it was colonized by Germany, later administered by Australia, and became an independent republic in 1968.

Its modern history has been shaped by phosphate mining, which once brought major wealth but eventually collapsed and pushed the country close to economic ruin in the 1990s. Today, climate change has become its biggest existential challenge, as rising sea levels threaten the low-lying island.

That pressure has prompted the government to seek overseas investment, including through a paid citizenship program designed to help fund relocation efforts for people and infrastructure away from the encroaching ocean.

Part of a wider trend
Naoero’s move fits a broader pattern of countries redefining themselves by restoring native names or dropping colonial-era labels. Eswatini, for example, reverted from Swaziland in 2018, while Turkey asked the United Nations in 2022 to officially use Türkiye, the name long used domestically.

See also  Police Arrest Suspect in Murder of Benue State University Professor And Brother

For many countries, these changes are about more than spelling. They are a way to signal sovereignty, cultural pride and a break from names imposed or simplified by outsiders. In Naoero’s case, officials say the change is a symbolic but meaningful step toward renewed national pride.

Why it matters
For a nation this small, a name change can carry outsized significance. It affects how the country is represented on maps, in diplomacy, in shipping, and in global databases, but it also sends a message about identity and self-definition.

The government says the old name became familiar internationally out of convenience, not choice. Reclaiming Naoero, then, is being framed not as a rebrand but as a return to what the nation has always called itself.

(With inputs from AP)

Continue Reading

Recent

Business and Economy7 hours ago

FCCPC Probes Why Nigerians Pay More for Cement than African Neighbours

Spread the love–Possible price manipulation–Search for alternative to cement on By Nick Ibe The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission...

NELFUND NELFUND
Education8 hours ago

More Funds for NELFUND As Tinubu Redirects EFCC-recovered Funds, Unclaimed Dividends to Loan Body

Spread the loveBy isa Abdul, Abuja President Bola Tinubu has taken hold steps to make the Nigerian Education Loan Fund,...

Business and Economy8 hours ago

July FAAC: FG, States, Councils Share N3tn

Spread the loveBy Nick Ibe The FAAC allocation has handed to the Federal Government, 36 states and 774 local government...

General News8 hours ago

Recall Products With Misleading Labels, FCCPC Directs Producers

Spread the loveBy Isa Abdul, Abuja Manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers across Nigeria have been directed to immediately withdraw consumer...

General News1 day ago

Message of the United Nations Secretary-General on World Humanitarian Day 2026.19 August 2026

Spread the loveOn World Humanitarian Day, we honour the dedicated workers who provide life-saving aid to millions in need. We...

General News1 day ago

EFCC Recovers N4.4bn Worth of AGO from Mamemo Ibru in Lagos

Spread the loveBy Seyi Balogun, Lagos Following investigation into an alleged case of stealing and criminal conversion, the Lagos Zonal...

Tor Tiv, His Royal Majesty, Prof Ayatse (middle, celebrant, Dr Kyaagba (right) and younger brother, Arc Joe kyaagba (left) Tor Tiv, His Royal Majesty, Prof Ayatse (middle, celebrant, Dr Kyaagba (right) and younger brother, Arc Joe kyaagba (left)
General News1 day ago

Opportunity For One, Opportunity For All: The New Agenda For Tiv

Spread the loveBy Iwar Aondona Simon There is need for an urgent conversation among Tiv leaders, influential sons and daughters...

Science & Technologies1 day ago

Young Nigerian Drone Makers Richer $52 Million: Plan Ghana Factory Africa’s Largest

Spread the loveBy Son Tertsegha, Abuja Nigerian defence-technology startup Terra Industries has raised another $18 million, taking its seed funding...

General News1 day ago

NDLEA Busts Cartel , Seizes N39b Cocaine, Arrests Social Media Influencer, KC Luxury

Spread the loveBy Isa Abdul, Abuja THE National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has announced the arrest of a drug...

General News1 day ago

Tinubu, Obi, Adebayo, Sowore: Sign Peace Pact to Shun Violence Ahead Of 2027 POLL

Spread the loveBy Felix Umande Political parties and presidential and National Assembly candidates on Tuesday signed the first National Peace...