Connect with us

General News

5 dead, 11 rescued, in Abuja building collapse…..as Wike orders free treatment for casualties

Published

on

Spread the love

By Wumi Tewogbade, Abuja

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered free medical treatment for casualties from a three-storey building that collapsed in Abuja on Saturday, leaving five people dead.

A three-storey building under construction had collapsed in Durumi 3 area, near Gudu Market, Abuja, early on Saturday morning.

Dr Adedolapo Fasawe, Mandate Secretary, FCT Health Services and Environment Secretariat disclosed this when she visited the site.

Fasawe noted that rescue operations were still ongoing as emergency responders continued efforts to evacuate more victims believed to be trapped beneath the rubbles.

In a dramatic rescue operation, one of the victims was pulled out alive after spending more than nine hours trapped under the debris.

Dr. Fasawe, who was at the scene, personally attended to the survivor immediately after he was rescued before he was moved to the hospital for further treatment.

The FCT Emergency Management Department (FEMD), had said in a statement that the building, behind Gudu Market was under construction when it collapsed at 8:30 a.m., killing five persons while 11 others sustained injuries.

FEMD, in the statement signed by the department’s Head of Public Affairs, Mrs Nkechi Isa, said that its search and rescue team had so far rescued 16 persons.

It added that 11 of the survivors have been taken to the Federal Medical Center Abuja, Asokoro District Hospital and Maitama Hospital for treatment.

The department added that most of the persons trapped in the rubbles were labourers.

See also  FCTA to phase-out dump sites, embraces Waste Recycling To Ensure Cleaner Abuja​

It said that other emergency personnel, including the National Emergency Management Agency, Federal Fire Service, FCT Fire Service, FCT Police Command were still carrying out search and rescue while anxious residents looked on.

“Also at the scene were personnel of the Nigerian Army, Federal Road Safety Corps, FCT Emergency Medical Services, and health officers from Wuse District Hospital,” it said.

General News

INEC Restores Benue Constituencies Ahead of 2027; 4 Cleared fr Ballot

Published

on

By

Spread the love

Gboko process stalls over non-compliance, as CVR records 184,064 new voters in Benue

By Felix Umande from Makurdi

The Independent National Electoral Commission has restored five previously suppressed State Constituencies in Benue State, with four set to participate fully in the 2027 general elections.

Benue Resident Electoral Commissioner Aminu Kasimu-Idris announced the development on Thursday during a press briefing at the INEC State Headquarters in Makurdi.

The restoration covers constituencies in Buruku, Gboko, Konshisha, Makurdi, and Ukum Local Government Areas, following court judgments directing INEC to reinstate the seats.

Kasimu-Idris said technical processes had been completed in four of the five areas — Buruku, Konshisha, Makurdi, and Ukum — confirming that the restored constituencies would appear on the ballot in 2027.

The process stalled in Gboko LGA, specifically in Mbatyu and Gboko North-West Registration Areas and Council Wards, due to non-compliance by the affected communities. The REC said the setback made it impossible to finish restoration in Gboko within the stipulated timeframe.

Kasimu-Idris also released figures from the first two phases of the Continuous Voter Registration exercise, which recorded 184,064 new registrants statewide.

The first phase accounted for 55,866 new voters, while the second phase added 128,198. He clarified that the figures cover fresh registrations only, with requests for transfers, card replacements, and data updates running into thousands more.

Voters aged 18 to 34 made up the majority of new registrants, a trend the REC said reflects growing youth participation in the electoral process.

See also  FCT Traditional Rulers Hails President Tinubu's Developmental Strides, Confers Wike With "Light of Abuja" Chieftaincy Title

The third and final phase of the CVR exercise began on May 11 and will run through July 10, 2026.

On preparations for party primaries, Kasimu-Idris said INEC had received notifications from some political parties and would monitor the exercises in line with its constitutional mandate.

Where party factions exist, he said the Commission would seek clarification from national party leadership before taking further actions.

Continue Reading

General News

Nigerians’ Loss of Human Values Deeply Troubling Realities

Published

on

By

Spread the love

–Goodluck Jonathan

By Son Tertsea, Abuja

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has expressed deep worry that Nigeria is fast seeing killings, destruction of communities and property as normal while speaking on Saturday at the first session of the 13th Synod of the Anglican Diocese of Abuja held at St James’ Anglican Church, Asokoro, with the theme “The Priesthood of All Believers: Equipping God’s People for the Work of Ministry.

He called for national reflection, spiritual renewal and responsible leadership amid the country’s worsening social and security challenges.

“When we look around today, particularly at the challenges confronting our country, it is easy to become discouraged. Violence, insecurity, moral decline, and the loss of human values have become deeply troubling realities.

“What is even more painful is how society sometimes appears to normalise these tragedies as though they are ordinary occurrences. In times past, such incidents would shake the conscience of the nation.

“Today, people are killed, communities are destroyed, and life seems to continue as though nothing has happened. This ought not to be so. It is a reminder that society desperately needs moral direction, spiritual guidance, and a restoration of values.”

The ex-president however stressed that the Church remains crucial in shaping society and upholding moral standards, which is why religious leaders should continue speaking the truth and defending righteousness.
He equally warned about the growing influence of negative values through technology and modern information systems.

See also  Reps Panel Rejects NAF's Documents, Orders Status Quo In Benue Land Dispute

“That is why the role of the Church remains indispensable. The Church must continue to stand as the conscience of society, speaking truth, defending righteousness, and shaping lives through faith and godly example.
“The influence of modern technology and information systems, though beneficial in many ways, has also contributed to the spread of negative values where wrong is sometimes celebrated more than good. This is not the future we should desire for our children and generations yet unborn.”

The former President emphasised the importance of integrity and courage in public service: “Permit me to also say that leadership matters greatly in moments like this. Society progresses when men and women of integrity, courage, and vision stand in the right places and speak the truth. We must continue to pray for our leaders, encourage one another, and work collectively for peace, justice, and national renewal.”

He expressed appreciation to the organisers for the invitation and prayed for God’s continued guidance upon the Church and the nation.

In his presentation at the event, the Archbishop, Metropolitan and Primate of All Nigeria, Anglican Communion, Henry Ndukuba, counseled the Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Professor Joash Amupitan, and his Resident Electoral Commissioners to demonstrate neutrality in the forthcoming 2027 Presidential and general elections, while encouraging Nigerians, especially Christians, to participate actively in politics and nation-building.

Ndukuba further criticised those in leadership positions for focusing more on power struggles ahead of the 2027 elections instead of governance and citizens’ welfare. He also condemned the persistent weaponisation of ethnicity and religion as major drivers of insecurity across the country even as he took a swipe at the huge borrowing by the Federal Government, saying that the public debt profile of N159. 28 trillion is worrisome.

See also  Governor Alia Insists Killing in Benue Based on Multiple Grounds

The bishop condemned the unstable electricity supply, and the management of crude oil resources while calling for transparency and policies that would directly benefit citizens, adding that Nigeria is bleeding following repeated cases of terrorism in the country. He also condemned Nigerians’ multidimensional poverty, as government macro gains have not reached the citizens on the streets.

He added “Crude Oil Politics: Global oil prices have spiked due to the Iran-US-Israel conflict, pushing up the costs of goods and services in Nigeria. Unlike other oil producers, Nigeria has not benefited from the windfall because of the regime of her pre-sold crude. Secondly, one considers that the politics surrounding Crude Oil sales and Dangote’s Refinery should be handled in the interest of Nigerians. Thirdly, the recent handover of the National Refineries to China must be reconsidered so that some are given to competent Nigerians who will plough back their gains into Nigeria, rather than allow China to loot our oil, as they have done in the Solid Minerals sector.”

He further condemned the continued killings, attacks, and displacement of communities in different parts of the country, especially Plateau State, Benue State, Kaduna State, and others.

But quoting from Scripture, he concluded, “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God,” while urging citizens to continue praying and working for national peace and unity.

In his welcome address, Former Primate of the Church of Nigeria, Nicholas Okoh, called on Christians and Church leaders to remain committed to God’s purpose despite the challenges facing society, urging Christians to continue praying for leaders and to take part responsibly in national affairs, especially in elections.

See also  Wike reiterates his respect for military, insists right thing must be done

On his part, former Primate of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion), Peter Akinola said “It is evident that our foreign delegates departed with a far better impression of Nigeria, contrary to the negative narratives often projected by sections of the foreign media about our beloved nation.

General Yakubu Gowon, Jonathan, Ambassador Godknows Igali and other prominent Christian leaders, bishops, clergy, and delegates from different parts of the country attended the event.

Continue Reading

General News

Our forces killed Senior ISIS commander in Nigeria

Published

on

By

Spread the love

–Trump

US and Nigerian forces have reportedly killed a senior ISIS commander on Friday, according to President Donald Trump.

“Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission to eliminate the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield,” said Trump in a Truth Social post late Friday.

Trump named the target as “Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command of ISIS globally,” adding: “He will no longer terrorize the people of Africa, or help plan operations to target Americans.”

According to documents from the US Office of Foreign Assets Control, al-Minuki was born in 1982 in the northeastern Nigerian state of Borno, which borders Cameroon, Chad and Niger.

Trump did not specify where the attack happened and there are no local reports about the operation for which the us president thanked the Nigerian government for its cooperations.

According to him, “with his removal, ISIS’s global operation is greatly diminished.”

According to CNN, it slso contacted the Nigerian government, ministry of defense and ministry of foreign affairs for comment.

See also  Wike reiterates his respect for military, insists right thing must be done
Continue Reading

Recent

General News11 hours ago

5 dead, 11 rescued, in Abuja building collapse…..as Wike orders free treatment for casualties

Spread the loveBy Wumi Tewogbade, Abuja The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered free medical...

General News21 hours ago

INEC Restores Benue Constituencies Ahead of 2027; 4 Cleared fr Ballot

Spread the loveGboko process stalls over non-compliance, as CVR records 184,064 new voters in Benue By Felix Umande from Makurdi...

Opinion22 hours ago

Knockout: Did El-Rufai’s Revenge Destroy Ribadu – or Was the French Dagger Just the Alibi?

Spread the loveBy Mohammed Bello Doka Somewhere in a detention cell, Nasir El-Rufai must be smiling because the man who...

Politics22 hours ago

Buhari’s Son Beats ex DSS Boss’ Son to Clinch APC Reps ticket in Katsina State

Spread the love–Daura alleges rigging By Our Reporter Late former President Muhammadu Buhari’s son, Yusuf, has beaten Auwalu Musa Daura,...

General News22 hours ago

Nigerians’ Loss of Human Values Deeply Troubling Realities

Spread the love–Goodluck Jonathan By Son Tertsea, Abuja Former President Goodluck Jonathan has expressed deep worry that Nigeria is fast...

General News2 days ago

Our forces killed Senior ISIS commander in Nigeria

Spread the love–Trump US and Nigerian forces have reportedly killed a senior ISIS commander on Friday, according to President Donald...

Foreign2 days ago

“We hoped for a future in America. Our dream has been shattered,”

Spread the love–Somali Resident in Minnesota, USA Months after it was announced that the surge of immigration agents in Minnesota...

General News2 days ago

Dangote Peugeot Delivers New SUV models For Nigeria

Spread the loveDangote Peugeot Automobiles Nigeria Limited has officially started assembling the new generation Peugeot 3008 and 5008 sport utility...

Judiciary2 days ago

Court Fines Plaintiff N1m Over Suit to Bar Jonathon from 2027 Election

Spread the loveFriday in Abuja, Justice Peter Lifu of the Federal High Court frowned at the attitude of Johnmary Jideobi,...

General News2 days ago

Owning Mansions Abroad is Huge Distraction Says Aliko Dangote

Spread the loveBy Son Tertsea, Abuja The richest African businessman, Aliko Dangote, has stated why he prefers staying in hotels...